jump to navigation

Saturday 17th February Monday, February 26, 2007

Posted by sara in Cheltenham Hockey, Match Report, Mens 1st XI.

Mens 1st XI 4 Westbury and UB A 1

The Firsts took all three points in a hard fought, must win game against Westbury, after going into the game with a bare 11 players, including 3rd team skipper Phil Sidey and newcomer to the club Ned ‘Flanders’ Lock. The game started brightly with no team taking control of the game. However just as Westbury were starting to control of the game a nice piece of control from Forward Ant Thompson took him past the Westbury defender and he beat the keeper for a one goal lead. Westbury then pressed on and after a shot on goal which was deflected onto the bar by Steve Vickery. The ball then dropped onto the line where chaos ensued with Phil Sidey, Steve Vickery and George Lampkin frantically trying to keep the ball out of the net. When the whistle blew the Westbury players appealed for a penalty flick. After a meeting between the umpires a short corner was given much to the frustration of the Westbury players. However a goal was scored from the following short corner with a Westbury player picking up a fine save from George Lampkin and lobbing the ball into the net. The half was coming to an end when we won a short corner which Ant Thompson fired into the corner for a 2-1 half time lead. The second half started with Westbury dominating possession but thanks to fine work from the defense and central midfielders, Nick Lampkin and Chad Chisholm we managed to hang onto our lead. Even when we temporarily went down to nine players with Ned Lock and Nick Lampkin yellow carded for foul play, we somehow managed to hang on. Eventually with the game drawing to a close and with us back to our full compliment of players a free hit from Nick Lampkin found Ant Thompson in front of the goalie who ‘nurdled’ the ball into the bottom corner for a 3-1 lead and his hat trick. From that point the Westbury heads seemed to drop and in the dying moments of the game Chad Chisholm had a chance which the keeper saved well only for Nick Lampkin to pick up the rebound and slice the ball into the top corner for a 4-1 lead and the game. Next week we are at home to Cwmbran in a game where we can hopefully push ourselves closer to mid table safety.



No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: